Sunday, July 27, 2014

Practicing Awarness of Microaggressions

I didn't detect any examples of micro aggression this week possibly because I didn't interact with anyone except family and my staff and the families at my center. But I do have examples to share. Microinvalidations is one of the types of micoagression that was described in the video segment with Dr. Sue(Laureate Education 2011). Micoinvaladation is a form of micro aggression that excludes or negates a persons thoughts or feelings.
I have a friend who every time we go anywhere, shopping out to eat always feels that we as African Americans are being either not shown enough attention and good customer service as our white counterparts or we are being undo targeted as people who are gonna steal. Me and the other friend never see the same thing she is seeing and we always negate her feelings and at times have even walked away from her as she gets loud and out of hand and embarrassing. But after listening to Dr. Sue and thinking about it due to her experiences she may see things that the other two of use are just ignoring. She grew up in the city and me and my friend didn't and the things we have experienced may be different then her which make her see things that we don't.

I also experienced an example of microinsult about two weeks before I knew what it even meant. I was at Walmart with my cart in the little girls section and was looking at items when a white couple came near me with their cart full of stuff in my direction and literally was going to push their way right in front of me until I just moved my cart, there was no excuse me or anything just pushing through and standing there for me to move as if THEY were intitiled to cut in front of me, intitled to without so much as an excuse me or sorry. Now this could just be because they have no manners, but when I was in another section of the store and they attempted the same things again, I didn't move and give them any POWER over me. It bothered me but those things haven't happen many times to me anyway.

I think this observation experience has reminded me of things that have happen or things that I may have did that aren't appropriate as far as my friend. But I think it is also going to make me aware of the hidden meaning behind everything someone say's

Laureate Education. (2011). Microaggressions in everyday life. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu  

No comments:

Post a Comment