Sunday, January 26, 2014

"My Connections to Play"

“Play gives children a chance to practice what they are learning.” – Mr. Rogers

“Play is often talked about as if it were a relief from serious learning. But for children play is serious learning. Play is really the work of childhood.” -  Fred Rogers


 toys for young children need to match their stages of development and emerging abilities. 


    
 Blocks, Musical Instruments and Dolls are three essential toys.

The only memories I have of play in my younger years is that of being outside with friends, inside activities with my younger siblings. I think that these opportunities were provided and encouraged by my parents. We always were provided educational activities to museums when we lived in duty stations that provided these opportunities. I don't have anymore specific memories of play in my childhood because I don't really have a full memory of my early childhood at all but I do personally feel that it is important to provide several different types of opportunities for play to stimulate all the child's senses thus to develop all the child's areas of development.
I think that in the past we participated in a lot more outdoor play and activities and not specific directed play that was intended to help develop our educational development. I think that know there is so many advances in technology and research so that now we know how important it is to stimulate their development.

As an early childhood educator I know the importance of play in the children that are in my care and I try to convey that importance to the staff and families in my care. Parents still want to see the worksheets and physical proff that they can hold to prove that their child is learning but they learn through play.



References


www.naeyc.org/toys






4 comments:

  1. Hi Jo, You make it clear that play is important. I love the three examples of play you promote in your center. Dolls, Blocks, and Musical Instruments are very important and the children love it.
    -Talisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo, it is great that you as an early childhood educator, you know what it means to struggle with the concept that children are not learning while they play. You are right, parents wants their child to learn the first later of their names and more, because they know that when they go to kindergarten they will be tested and probably being label. Little by little we are losing the privilege of play, if we keep going like this; play will be a thing for the past in our schools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the quote by Mr. Rogers and I also loved watching Mr. Rogers. Mr. Rogers was something I watched as a child to play. Also looking at the blocks in your picture makes me think about when someone use to build the blocks up high and I run and knock them over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo,

    I was wondering what do you say to the parents that want to see work sheets from their children?

    ReplyDelete