Saturday, November 2, 2013

Early Childhood Develpment.

EARLY CHILDHOOD DEVELOPMENT

Week #1 Assignment

The experience I want to share regarding childbirth is my first child’s birth, I went to one of the regular doctor appointments and was told that I needed to go directly to the hospital. I was only 18 at the time, newly married to my High school sweetheart, who was finishing up training at the military base. I was immediately checked in and I was told because my blood pressure was extremely high and they were admitting me to try to get it down. After several days of laying on one side limited visitors it wasn’t down so they scheduled for me to be induced, during the process my daughter’s heartbeat was irregular so they had to do an emergency C-section. I opted to be put under during birth because I am not too interested in being given a shot in my back. So once I woke up later in recovery I was told of my daughter’s birth, she was only 5lbs but no problems during birth. We were right here in the town that I still live in, I didn’t have the complete nine months of prenatal care because I was young and unsure of the choice I was going to make and being a teen ager I know I didn’t make the healthy choices of meals but everything worked out.

In the U.S most families do have the option on pre-natal care whether they elect to use it or not. In the Republic of Congo, four women die every hour from complications of pregnancy (DiManno, 2010). Childbirth is considered a natural and private event, something that occurs in the home rather than being an event that requires medical attention. In this area of the world I also learned that a lot of births are the products of rape and these infants are killed after childbirth. Even if women in this area went to the hospital, the hospitals are not equipped like those in the U.S., they don’t even have enough gloves, mask or even blood.
In comparing these births they are different because of the health care I was able to have a emergency procedure performed when trouble arrived when on the other hand the mothers in the Congo are not even afforded gloves.
I think that the impact of births on child development are enormous, children are going to be born, with or without prenatal care for the most part. But research has shown that prenatal care gives children a good start, a healthier start. Hopefully health issues are discovered early to maybe provide treatment or to give the parents time to learn the best way to support the child with exceptionalities. A child's Development happens in the typical sequences but things that happen or don’t happen during prenatal and birthing process can have an impact on future development especially if there are difficulties or the child is born too early.


DiManno, R. (2010, July 28). thestar.com. Retrieved from Thestar.comworld: http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2010/07/28/where_so_many_children_die_bearing_children.html

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your experience. I am glad that everything went well. It's very unfortunate that some country does not have the equipment or system set up to support prenatal care. We just have to be thankful to our system here in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jo,
    I experienced a similar situation, I had to be induced because my blood pressure was really high and I labored forever and had to have an emergency C-section also. I think that was pretty scary at the time but the birth of a healthy baby is so much more important than anything else. They say how important prenatal care is but I know so many healthy babies born without it (me being one) that I think it can be optional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great story. I am glad it worked out for you. This assignment did make me sad reading about other countries and the hardship pregnancy and labor can be for women. It makes me so grateful and appreciate all the medical advances we have in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete